March 9, 2009

Chosen (Guest Post)

The wedding band started to play. I caught the swish of a red dress out of the corner of my eye. Before I even saw her face, I knew who it was. She approached our group, and paused just for a second, bloodlessly evaluating each of us in turn. We made eye contact. "Let's go", she said. We walked out onto the dance floor.

"Just so you know, I can't swing dance."
"Neither can I, but I bet you can fake it."

It was true. For the next five minutes we were alone, as the blaring trumpets and whirling revelers drew a curtain around our square-yard homestead. I smiled at her. I knew what I was doing this time. I was better, smarter, stronger than before. The music picked up, and she started moving faster. I felt a familiar rush as I knew I had no choice but to keep up. As I watched her, I realized that this moment had been inevitable, and I let the emotions wash over me. No matter what had happened in the past, no matter what would happen at the end of the song, for this one moment, I was chosen.

No comments:

Post a Comment