February 1, 2010

Strawberries with Cream Part V

It is getting more and more difficult for Anjor to run around looking for strawberries and flowers without attracting attention from his friends and family. But he has to play this one close to the chest. Between meeting people and running errands around the city, he has to work hard to find fragments of time in which to pursue his girl. The efforts he is going through are downright scandalous in this town. Privacy is a luxury hard to come by.

Anjor pulls into Le’ Meridien, the most upscale hotel in the fast developing city. It’s been in the news recently since Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt stayed there with their adopted kids and nannies. Anjor is a nobody compared to the folk that generally set foot inside, he is a little nervous about pulling this off. He is dressed in his finest jeans and button down. He takes a deep breath, and walks through security as if he owns the place. He hopes that by ignoring all the doormen and busboys he’ll avoid interrogation.

“Sir excuse me sir may I help you?”

Anjor puts on his most arrogant voice.

“Actually yes. I wish to speak with Samit Mishra.”

“Excuse me?”

“Samit Mishra. He does work here right?”

“…y..yes sir, straight and to the left.”

“Thanks.”

As the word leaves his mouth, Anjor is already walking toward the renowned restaurant. His aggressive tone had done the trick. The restaurant is completely empty. Its slightly before opening time, just as he had hoped.

“Yes sir, how may I help you?”

“Is this where famous chef Samit Mishra works?”

“Yes sir, how may I help you?”

“I would like to speak with him, please.”

“Sir, I don’t know if that is possible….”

“I would be grateful if you can go and check.”

“Y..yes sir.”

A few minutes later, the reception comes back out of the kitchen, and makes a couple of phone calls. Another few minutes later, Samit Mishra walks into the restaurant lobby.

“Hello, I hear you were looking for me.”

“Hi, my name is Anjor, and I am here to sample one of the desserts that you make. I’ve heard a lot about it.”

They shake hands.

“What would that dessert be?”

“I’ve been told that Samit Mishra makes the best strawberry desserts in the city. I was hoping that you could humor me and whip up something with strawberries, cream, and shortcake.”

“Well, let me check if we have those ingredients, have a seat please.”

“I appreciate it.”

Samit Mishra discovers that there is no shortcake. He makes a few calls and ascertains that a shortcake could be delivered to the hotel within 24 hours if desired. He offers

“Sir, we don’t have a full shortcake, but I do have some shortcake crumbs which I keep around. Can I use those for your sample and then if you are satisfied we can put in a large order?”

“I don’t know, if that’s the case then I’ll have to check with my people. Why don’t you make it to go, and I’ll see what they think and get back to you.”

“Sure sir, I would appreciate any culinary feedback you have for me. Here’s my card. I’ll have your dessert ready in 10 minutes.”

Anjor leaves his contact information at the reception and ten minutes later he strolls out with a fresh made, delicately packaged serving of strawberries and cream with shortcake from the best chef in town. But he didn’t know that this had been the easy part of his struggle.

Anjor still has one more thing to do before he takes the leap. He stops at a gift store to get some acceptable paper and ink. He takes a deep breath and writes –

“Dear Preeti,”

He pauses. He isn’t sure what else he can say. He doesn’t want to appear desperate, but he doesn’t want to be lackluster in his message, either. He hastily writes the rest of the message before he can change his mind. He folds the paper and puts it on the packaged dessert. He is almost done.

A block away from her house, he stops the car and calls her.

“Hi.”

“Hi! What’s up”

“I was wondering if you were at home and had a couple of minutes to spare.”

“…actually I’m in Goa.”

“Oh…when will you be back?”

“Not till Sunday.”

“I guess I’ll see you then. Have a good time in Goa!”

“Ok, bye Anjor!”

Anjor punches the steering wheel so hard that it hurts and for a moment he’s afraid that the airbag’s will pop. He throws the precious package in a dumpster on his way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment